- categoryProject Management
Project Management (PM) software solutions are one of software technology’s best innovations thanks to automation features that help teams and businesses do more in less time. Regardless if a team is co-located or geographically distributed, they can work in real-time and have access to tools with ease. Also called Project Portfolio Management (PPM) or Task Management Software (TMS), these products allow on-time and quality delivery of outputs. Use it to collaborate and communicate while managing resources and costs.
Let’s evaluate two popular PM software solutions: Wrike vs. Smartsheet. We’ll consider their integrations, features, and pricing models to help you make a sound choice for your software product. Use our free and easy-to-use Product Selection Tool to receive five recommendations of PM software solutions tailored to your business needs from our Technology Advisors.
Wrike vs. Smartsheet: An overview
Wrike is an online PM tool for all business sizes that aims to increase productivity, enhance team collaboration, and provide features for both co-located and geographically distributed teams. It offers real-time collaboration tools that allow users to keep track of, prioritize, and discuss work and progress with ease. Use it to centralize communication, plan projects, and streamline workflow without worrying about data and security leaks. It can be scaled to meet growing business needs and has ready-to-implement solutions like professional services and marketing automation.
Smartsheet is an intuitive PM software solution designed for all business sizes and is used by government agencies, start ups, academic organizations, and Fortune 500 companies. It has a spreadsheet-like platform for tracking and managing diverse types of data such as events and schedules, business processes, projects, sales sources, task lists, and customer information. Use Gantt chart applications to highlight tasks, visualize complex data, and track performance and budget data in one sheet. Smartsheet is easy to learn and set up with a set of templates to get teams up and running.
Wrike vs. Smartsheet: A comparison of features
Wrike offers a set of features that enable real-time team collaboration:
- Organized file management: Wrike comes with a proofing and approval tool for faster review and approval of documents and digital images. Users can access files and attachments at all times and use versioning to track the most recent versions of file attachments.
- Collaborative editing: Multiple users can edit files and documents simultaneously. They can contribute to all projects without being locked out when another member is already working on them. Wrike lets teams share tasks with all members.
- Seamless communication: Teams can work on projects using one system where all files are located. Members can provide views and feedback on recent press releases and upload design mockups or ideas for the company a day out.
- Easy time tracking: Wrike comes with a built-in timer to track billable hours and charge clients.
- Visual timelines: The software comes with a visual scheduling feature that provides a clear overview of projects, milestones, and tasks. It displays an overall picture where users can see deadlines.
- 3-pane view: Users can see all project aspects in one screen. See project hierarchy on the left, project task lists in the middle, and task details on the right pane.
Smartsheet comes with features that promote team collaboration:
- Shared workspaces: Smartsheet provides users with shared workspaces for secure collaboration. They can share folders and sheets with clients, partners, and internal teams.
- Shared sheets: Use shared sheets for any type of work and publish folders to the web in PDF format or Excel attachments. Users can add an unlimited number of users to view and edit sheets.
- Easy file uploading: Users can upload files to a sheet, row, or workspace with ease.
- Alerts and reminders: Smartsheet automatically sends daily alerts and reminders whenever a deadline is approaching or changes have been made. Users can update sheets via email without logging in to the system. The software shows previous data of any cell and the member who made the changes.
Wrike vs. Smartsheet: A comparison of prices
Wrike has a 4-tier pricing plan: Free Professional, Business, and Enterprise. The Free Plan is recommended for smaller teams and starting businesses that need a simple task list. The Professional Plan can be used by 5-15 members who can take advantage of Wrike’s full collaboration and planning features. The Business Plan is for larger teams with customization and executive reporting through a robust project management program. The Enterprise Plan is suitable for big companies that require control, security, and comprehensive solutions to unlimited users.
Users can choose from Smartsheet’s 3-tier pricing model: Individual, Business, and Enterprise. Individual and Business Plans are charged on a per user, per month basis and includes collaboration, project workflows, status, and metrics. The Enterprise Plan includes all features of the Business Plan — plus enterprise-grade tools and features.
Interested users can contact the vendors directly for a quote and a complete list of product details.
Wrike vs. Smartsheet: A comparison of integrations
Wrike integrates with:
- Microsoft OneDrive
Smartsheet offers seamless integrations with:
- Easy Insight
- Git Hook
- Google Calendar
- Google Drive
Which suits your business best?
Wrike and Smartsheet have proven track records in helping businesses succeed. Both products integrate with commonly-used apps and offer real-time collaboration tools. However, it’s important to consider their differences when buying your business’s PM software product.
Wrike offers a free plan that is suitable for starting companies and smaller teams, while Smartsheet has paid plans. This helps teams make big savings and focus on revenue. While Smartsheet’s shared sheets feature is useful for data presentations, Wrike’s 3-pane view is better because it lets users see all project details in one page and reduces time spent switching between tabs. An advantage of Smartsheet is the shared workspaces, which makes sharing project details and progress with clients and stakeholders simpler.
Want more PM software options? Use our Product Selection Tool.