Sifting through the many options available in the SEO (search engine optimization) software marketplace will inevitably lead to a matchup between Spyfu and Semrush. Both tools are leaders in the SEO space, bringing robust features and powerful tools to the table.
The winner of the matchup, in fact, may be subjective in relation to your business’s current needs compared to where it is going in the near future. Oftentimes, the decision comes down to how well the software meets the business’s needs, while considering any specific benefits and drawbacks of the solution.
In this article...
What is Spyfu?
Founded in 2006, Spyfu is a Scottsdale, Arizona-based company that offers a suite of features and tools that include an SEO marketing suite, a PPC (pay-per-click) analyzer, in-depth views of historic data and competitive analysis, backlink outreach, unlimited keyword and domain projects, as well as custom reporting.
With over 200,000 monthly users, Spyfu is a featured player for businesses of all sizes seeking a solid SEO marketing tool, including big brands like Amazon, Adobe, and Salesforce.
Pros of Spyfu
- Robust Competitive Keyword Research Tool: SpyFu’s competitive keyword research tool tracks over 80 million domains and five billion results. The tool performs millions of searches every day that are auditable back to the actual search engine result page. This is one of SpyFu’s biggest pros.
- Quick and Easy to Create or Adjust Campaigns: Spyfu has an easy-to-use interface that allows users to access things like competitor keywords with a simple copy and paste. Building out or adjusting digital campaigns is simple and intuitive, saving time wasted with complicated processes and deep learning curves.
- Simple User Interface (UI) with Lots of Features: Spyfu describes itself as an all-in-one tool with a UI that is not overwhelming. Users like the clean, focused interface that doesn’t overload them with irrelevant data. Straightforward dashboards and clear, easy-to-digest reports help users achieve goals and save time.
- Support Available When You Need It: Spyfu offers 24/7 response through email and chat. And it offers a library of informative training videos and live, one-on-one webinars to help with any questions.
Cons of Spyfu
- Inaccurate PPC Reporting: A common complaint among Spyfu users is a lack of confidence in its PPC data, especially in regards to competitive data.
- Manual Search Is Required: To get at relevant data on competitors’ keywords, users often state they have to perform manual adjustments to ensure the resulting data is real and accurate.
What is Semrush?
Founded in 2008, Semrush is a Boston-based company that offers users the ability to access SEO, content marketing, competitor research, PPC, and social media marketing from just one platform. Semrush touts its database size with access to over 22 billion keywords for 130 countries and all-in-one capabilities that eliminate the need for multiple tools to achieve online marketing and SEO goals.
Semrush has won multiple industry awards and states that 30% of Fortune 500 companies use its tool.
Pros of Semrush
- Easy-to-Use Organic Ranking Tool: Semrush users are able to quickly and easily access deep analysis of how their site is ranking, what keywords are working, and how the competition looks in comparison.
- Slick PPC Campaign Functionality: Businesses that rely heavily on PPC to achieve goals will appreciate the easy-to-use and effective PPC tool within Semrush. Offering an all-in-one solution, users like the ability to launch PPC campaigns with lots of analytics and tools to make executing their ads easier.
- Content Marketing Support: Semrush is complementary to businesses that are content-centric. With tools that provide improvement suggestions into keyword performance, content performance, and even user experience, Semrush is an excellent tool to help optimize the content aspect of marketing efforts.
- Simplified Reporting Tools: Semrush offers reporting tools that are easy to create, customize, and export. The power of the Semrush reporting tool eliminates the need for manual data captures, saving time and money.
- Analyze & Track Social Media Effectiveness: Semrush helps to track brands across all social media platforms including influencer campaigns and paid social activity.
Cons of Semrush
- UI Comes With a Learning Curve: The Semrush user interface is not intuitive for novice users. While technical professionals may be able to master the tool quickly, the tool may not be great for teams that have less technical prowess.
- Single Login Issue: Semrush comes with a single user login. Additional seats can be purchased, but it can get costly. The tool discourages sharing of credentials by wiping out history and saved data when new IP addresses sign in with the same information.
- Paying for More Than Is Needed: Semrush is a robust tool with a multitude of features and modules, which may simply not be needed.
Choosing between Spyfu and Semrush
Choosing which is right for your business in a comparison of Spyfu and Semrush can come down to budgets and features. Determining what you need right now, identifying your short- and long-term goals, and then aligning with your budget will help make the decision between these two excellent SEO tools easier.