Technology is the foundation of today’s human resource department. From higher demand for operational efficiencies to labor shortages to competitive hiring environments, HR professionals are tapping into the power of their tech stack to help them gain their edge.
As the responsibilities of HR departments grow, so does the demand for a robust suite of capabilities in the software solutions they utilize. Human resource management systems need to have the ability to manage all aspects of the HR departemen from sexual harassment compliance to training and payroll. Zenefits is a top contender in the HR software space, but it is not the sole consideration. With so many on the market, how do you evaluate which is best for you? Let’s explore Zenefits and its standout features with a comparison to some of its top competitors.
What is Zenefits?
Based in the Silicon Valley, Zenefits is a technology company that is among the leaders in its space for cloud-based software that helps businesses manage their HR functions. Founded in 2013, it is an industry leader considered on most lists to be among the top software as a service options for human resource departments. The software provides a robust suite of HR services with a focus on payroll and health insurance coverage.
Zenefits offers features such as payroll, benefits, compliance, time management and more. It is most popular among businesses in the following industries: business services, software, retail, custom software and IT services.
Comparing Zenefits With Its Competition
Zenefits Standout Features
- Lots of integrations: It’s important for your choice of software to offer integrations to your existing tech stack. Zenefits does just this. With out of the box integrations with popular tools such as Slack, Google Workspace (formerly G Suite), Lever, Greenhouse, Jazz HR, Microsoft 365 (formerly Office 365), Expensify, Lattice, Asana, Zapier, and Salesforce — just to name a few.
- Deep mobile app capabilities: Zenefits also offers a simple yet powerful mobile app for employees on the go. As more and more employees need to have a seamless tool on their smartphone, HR decision makers are turning to tools like Zenefits that offer access to information including paystubs, benefits and time off requests from the comfort of their mobile device.
BambooHR Standout Features
- Perfect for International-focused Businesses: BambooHR stands out for international features and adaptations that are key to businesses that have operations across borders.
- Rated High in Ease of Use: Ease of use is an important feature to getting employee adoption. BambooHR’s interface is rated highly for intuitive workflows and ease of use according to 100% of the software’s online reviews in regards to its UI.
Gusto Standout Features
- Exceptional User Experience: A standout feature for Gusto is related to its user experience. User experience is a key for HR departments that need to roll the tool out to less tech-savvy users within their department and out into the company workforce. Without this user-friendly nature, the HR team is left with lack of use, mistakes and deep training initiatives to get the team up to speed.
- Easy Payroll Function: Gusto also stands out for its simple, intuitive payroll processing, even for novices. Processing payroll can be one of the most complicated tasks for any HR department due to time constraints, fluctuating laws and regulations as well as variables such as new employees, hour tracking and benefits. Having a software tool that makes this portion of your HR function easy can be essential to the running of your business.
Also read: Top Gusto Competitors & Alternatives 2022
GoCo HR Standout Features
- Depth for Automation Needs: More and more HR companies are looking for ways to automate their HR functions. GoCo HR stands out for its robust automation tools that can automate things like hiring and onboarding, performance reviews and the promotion process.
- Customer service: If you know you need to have access to an accessible and well-rated customer service team, GoCo is known for this standout feature with a team of knowledgeable pros standing by for support.
Choosing The Best HR Software
Your goal in transitioning to an HR software or switching to a new one is always about streamlining your processes. Depending on your needs, it could be about:
- Taking previously paper-based processes to a digital format
- Centralizing employee records for better access and compliance
- Automating processes such as onboarding, payroll, etc
- Helping to create a stronger culture and recruiting edge
- Any unique combination of these reasons and more.
A few key points will help you as you explore the right HR software tool for your business. Whether it turns out to be Zenefits or any one of the multitude of contenders, be sure to iron out your pain points, top objectives and goals for the software first. Then compare this with the standout features of the software you are considering. For example, if you have little or no tech support on hand, a software with strong tech support might be on order for your business.
Another key thing to keep in mind is your employees. Keeping your employees’ needs, technical abilities and flexibility requirements in mind is essential to the success of your tool. Consider asking questions like:
- What are the employees’ HR-related needs?
- What can this HR software tool do to help them work more efficiently?
- How many different types of employees are there in the organization and how do their needs differ?
- What are the needs of the remote workforce?
- How much personalization will the HR software tool need to work within the parameters of your business?
Start by defining the problems your HR software should solve, the unique makeup of your employee base and then examine Zenefits and all the other options to determine which one fits best with your needs. Then browse our HR software products or get in touch with an unbiased Technology Advisor who can help you find the right vendor for your needs. The consultation is fast and free.
Top Human Resources Software Recommendations
See why over 8,500 small and growing businesses trust JazzHR to find their next great hire. Try JazzHR commitment-free for 21 days (no credit card required!) and instantly access crowd favorite tools like one-click job posting to dozens of free and premium job boards, pre-screening questions with auto-reject features, integrations with all of the HR tools you need like Zoom video interviewing, and much more. Post your first job for free today.
Rippling is the first way for businesses to manage all of their HR, IT, and Finance — payroll, benefits, computers, apps, corporate cards, expenses, and more — in one unified workforce platform. By connecting every business system to one source of truth for employee data, businesses can automate all of the manual work they normally need to do to make employee changes.
Processing routine HR tasks by hand and entering data in multiple systems can be time consuming and risky. That’s why leaders depend on Paycor for a modern, adaptable, and unified system for all things HR. From engaging employee self-service, mobile push notifications and company updates to unlimited workflows, reminders, and notifications, Paycor‘s HR software helps you get out of the weeds so you can focus on bigger priorities like attracting, retaining and developing employees.
Need a Little Help?
Talk with a software expert for free. Get a list of software that’s great for you in less than 15 minutes.