Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) is a key component of organizational operations and reflects companies which aspire to be better environmental leaders who invest in strong environmental, health, and safety management solutions and practices.
In the environmental space, it involves creating a consistent process to manage waste, comply with regulations, or reduce your carbon footprint. EHS programs that work the best also include measures to address ergonomics, air quality, and other aspects of workplace safety that could affect the health and well-being of employees.
Compliance and Sustainability
With the ever-growing importance of being environmentally conscious and ensuring companies have strategic sustainability practices in place, organizations aim higher and continue to move beyond the standard compliance measures.
EHS managers are the ones who are driving this forward and are responsible for designing and implementing strategies to carry out initiatives such as:
- Developing and leading sustainability programs
- Creating successful internal partnerships to integrate EHS values and practices across all departments
- Openly communicating enterprise risks associated with environmental, health, or safety failures
- Establishing global corporate EHS standards and practices
- Publicly reporting the progress on a full spectrum of EHS and sustainability initiatives
- Responding to stakeholder inquiries regarding their company’s EHS and sustainability performance
- Conducting internal audits and reports
- Ensuring safe and healthy workplaces
EHS Management – Your New Best Friend
Maintaining a high standard of compliance with all the relevant regulations, guidelines, and legislation is a vital practice. It’s also a great challenge, particularly when tackled by managers who have many other tasks on their to-do lists.
Luckily, more software options are now available to handle EHS compliance management requirements than ever before. The right software option should allow managers to:
- Capture and report incidents and events
- Conduct investigations
- Assign tasks and actions
- Identify causes
- Assess HSE trends through easy-to-use reporting
However just as, if not more, important than responding to compliance issues is identifying and mitigating risk. Software systems that help users take that proactive approach save time and headaches.
Go the Extra Mile
Having systems in place that respond to industry standards and allow organizations to adapt to ever-changing requirements continues to be of prevalent importance. By increasingly focusing their EHS strategies on operational risk and improving business performance, organizations are prompting software providers to develop functionality to help them go beyond compliance and track areas such as incident management, performance analysis, and management of change.
Moving beyond the traditional compliance structures, it’s time to exceed expectations and realize the paramount essentiality of EHS management solutions.
Ewelina Marek is a recent university graduate and the marketing officer at INX Software, where it’s all about finding the right solution for workforce management personnel. She is passionate about writing, software solutions, industry research and bringing all these together to keep people informed.